Good morning! If you are battling cravings, withdrawals, headaches or overall fogginess, by day 5 you should feel great, so this is hump-day!
8am – drank hot water with lemon….no meditation, no smoothie.
I just could not get out of bed an hour before the rest of my family today, so meditation will have to happen a little bit later today. For me, flexibility is the key to not completely freaking out. I love structure and rules and punishing myself when I don’t follow those rules. Cleansing is a time for cleaning out the junk, even if it is just bad habits like punishing myself because thank you cards did not get sent the day after Christmas.
So today, I thought it would be good to do a little recap of some of the questions, comments and tips that I have been receiving thus far. If you are religiously reading the blog and all comment then some of these will be repeats but I am assuming that most of you have a life and maybe are not connected to the blog all day like I am. Also, below you will see adorable picture of my chickens and a totally unrelated recipe for roasted root veggies, my favorite side dish!
1. Weight – Why am I not losing weight or why am I gaining weight…how is this possible? While this cleanse is not a diet, for many of you this will be a reduction in calories as well as a means for your body to excrete waste that it has been holding. However, you will not necessarily lose weight right away. If you have drastically changed your eating habits your body can go into a preservation mode in which it releases chemicals that hold onto fat. As you stick with your cleanse, the body will adjust. I can liken this to the morning after a big meal when you wake up feeling like you are starving when normally you are not very hungry in the morning. The body adjusts to its feeding pattern, good, bad or ugly. After a few days your body should even out and start to drop pounds and waste so have patience friends. Also, if you are a person that owns a scale you MUST limit yourself to once a week. Weighing yourself daily is a means to misery…don’t do it…fluctuations in water weight will change your number on the scale and who wants to start the day being pissed off about water weight. Remember, this cleanse is to create a healthier body so let that be your focus…dieting for weight-loss is too narrow a view and seldom works long-term.
2. Do I need a juicer if I have a Vita Mix – From what I hear the Vita mix will pulverize your produce and make it into a nice smooth smoothie but it does still contain all of the fiber. The juicer is different because it removes all of the fiber. To be honest I love juice and I love how it makes me feel. It goes right to the blood and makes me feel zippy. It is easier on the body because you really don’t have to digest much at all. However, it is a lot more expensive to juice because you lose a lot of your mass in fiber that is expelled and you can definitely live without a juicer. But as I said, I love juice so I do both smoothies and juice.
3. Calcium– Earlier in one of the posts I mentioned taking Calcium-Magnesium which is what I was given by my acupuncturist to relieve muscle pain after a car accident. However, I have often wondered if I actually need the calcium part for the magnesium part to work. There is a lot of science coming out about the dangers of calcium supplements because over-calcification looks like it is causing clogged arteries and adding to atherosclerosis. I do not think that calcium supplements are necessary at all. I also think diary is counter-productive as it can cause acidity in the blood which forces calcium and phosphorus out of the bones and teeth. I will get more into detail about that later. Anyway, my friend Shelley, super-mom and super-chiropractor, sent me a note about the magnesium that she and her family take which does not have calcium and she says it works like a charm. It is called Natural Calm and she also recommends their vitamins from Organic Life. I trust the heck out of this woman, she is a research junkie and I can probably credit her completely for my love of all things natural because she led me into the world of health by introducing me to her midwives during my first pregnancy…so there is my shout out!
4. Headaches and withdrawals – I received a great tip that buffered vitamin C can help with these nasty symptoms so if you are struggling, pop over to your natural food store and pick some up, you are not going to hurt yourself with a little extra vitamin C, in fact you will boost your immune system!
5. Do I recommend being vegan – OK PEOPLE, LISTEN UP! I don’t recommend vegetarianism or veganism…I recommend whole, unprocessed foods with tons of raw veggies and fruit. The reason that this cleanse is vegan is because meat and dairy take the body up to 12 hours to digest and that is a lot of work for the body. We are letting the body take a break. However, I have been known to drive an hour each way for raw organic milk and pasture raised chicken. I am not eating meat right now because I want to know how it feels for my body but I am not committed to a vegan lifestyle. I have done A LOT of research about this and my conclusion is this: We are all different and have different needs but nobody needs McDonalds, Panda Express, Soda or Starbucks. If we choose to eat animal products, we should choose them responsibly from local farmers that raise their animals humanely. I don’t recommend eating meat more than twice a week but animal products daily and in moderation are fine. I say YES to pasture raised organic chicken eggs and I believe in things like fish oil, krill oil and the occasional sushi binge. If you want more info on this then I can dedicate an entire post to where to find health animal products such as raw dairy, CSA’s for meat etc. …let me know!
Ok, onto the recipe and keep those questions and comments coming!
ROASTED ROOTS – MY FAVORITE SIDE DISH OR MAIN MEAL
Preheat oven to 400 degrees
Peel and slice 4 cups of root veggies and cube them into 1 inch cubes. My favorite roots are turnips, parsnips, carrots, and beets. Sometimes I throw in some brussels sprouts and sweet potatoes.
1 tbsp. grape seed oil
2 tbsp. fresh rosemary
1 tbsp. fresh thyme
1 cube of vegan veggie bullion
5 garlic cloves
1/2 c filtered water
Pour over veggies, toss to evenly distribute sauce and roast for 45 min- 60 minutes. Check with a fork to make sure they are cooked to desired consistency, they are also good a little crunchy so don’t overcook too much! So good on a cold and rainy night! You can eat these veggies after a big salad and call it dinner. My kids love them with ketchup! (Of course that is organic with no high fructose corn syrup)